May 26, 2014

Recent Reads

65. stART Journaling: An Art Journaling Workbook
This book is a complication of techniques from other books, but since I had already read the books it draws from, there was nothing new in this one for me. I really wish that the publisher noted somewhere that this is a complication of previously published works. This is also my second book from this publisher with blank "worksheet" pages, something else I dislike. I have my own blank paper thank you. If however you are staring at a blank page in your journal wondering how to begin, this might give you some ideas to get started.  Rating: 1 star.

66. The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1)
This is the first book in the Maze Runner trilogy for young adults, and I picked it up for two reasons:
1. I'm doing a read-along with my 11 year old nephew Luke.
2. The movie comes out this year, and Luke and I have a date to see it together.

There are some really good YA dystopian books out there, unfortunately, this is not one of them. It has an interesting premise sure: a group of boys are trapped adjacent to a maze. The main character, Thomas, is dropped in, and like everyone else, he has induced amnesia. 

Okay, even writing about the plot bores me, so I'll summarize my complaints:

1. There is no character development whatsoever. The characters are cardboard cutouts that move around in the scene, albeit some faster that others.
2. This would have been a more fun read if the scary things (Grievers) were actually scary.
3. The pacing was off, mainly due to not wanting to give away the big reveal.
4. As for all that maze running .... don't get me started.

That said, I did read all the way through, and for that the book gets an additional star. By the way, my nephew loves the books, is almost done with the trilogy, and found it both scary and fun. So maybe it is just me. Rating: 2 stars.


67. I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50
OK, I'll admit that the cover made me pick this one up. Who can resist those pink grannie undies with a touch of lace? The author is turning 50, and this is a collection of essays about what it feels like to be a woman of a certain age. Sure, the problems are mostly first-world ones, as the author readily admits, but that does not make them any less real for her. 

If we are lucky, we will grow old, and whether we do it gracefully or not, with humor or angst can depend on various factors: genetics and disposable income for plastic surgery being the main ones. As with any collection, some o f the essays are better than others. Reading "When Brown Was Going To Be The New Black" has me snorting and laughing uncontrollably, and that piece alone was worth the price of admission. Rating: 3 stars.


68. The Walking Dead, Vol. 07: The Calm Before
There is a lull in the action. Well, by lull, I mean that a baby is born, someone dies, and there is lots of target practice. The book ends in a huge cliff hanger. He's baaaaccccckkkkk.

Why do I continue to read this series? I don't love it, and yet I just can't seem to quit it. Maybe I need therapy for this dysfunctional relationship. Rating: 2 stars.

No comments: