May 19, 2014

Recent Reads

61. Dear Diary
This is a book written for children, and starts out in a straight forward manner: Lucy is keeping a diary, and records one day in her life. The fun twist is that unknown to her, she is surrounded by journalers who record the same day. These include her dog, a chair in her classroom, ladybug, knife and fork, firefly and spider. Love the idea of introducing kids to multiple narrators in this manner. The collage art is fun and whimsical, and there is lots for kids to look at on each page. Rating: 3 stars.

62. Eleanor & Park
I tend to shy away from young adult romance novels, well, romance novels in general really. Not my genre. I read tons of it in my teens, and I think I maxed out my romance limit (when it comes to reading at least).

The only reason this was on my radar is that it made the Tournament of Books this year. I listened to the audiobook wonderfully narrated by Rebecca Lowman and Sunil Malhotra. I would give them 5 stars for narration. 

Do you remember what it was like to be young? I mean really remember, not just intellectually looking back, but feeling what you felt? The highs and lows, the ecstasy and the tragedy, the surety that no-one had ever loved like you love? If you have forgotten, this book will remind you. I have no idea how the author is in touch with all those feelings as an adult. Most of us lock them up and throw away the key; how many ups and downs can one really manage in a single day and still hold down a job as an adult? 

This is the story of Eleanor and Park, and is told in alternating voices. They could not be more different, or have more dissimilar family situations, but a spark is ignited. First love. The highs and lows, the insecurity and embarrassment, the obsession. Communication starts via comics and music. 

Yes there are scenes that are so sickly sweet that my teeth actually ached, and some tough stuff seemed a little glossed over, and the lack of physical intimacy (read sex) was a little unbelievable, especially on Park's end - I mean he is a sixteen year old boy! - but I found myself smiling in parts, and indulgently shaking my head in others, and overall I quite enjoyed this story. The author captures the rawness of being young and in love really well. I would highly recommend the audiobook version. I think I would have knocked a star off for the print edition. Rating: 4 stars.


63. The Walking Dead, Vol. 6: This Sorrowful Life
Volume 6 contains issues 31-36.

One would think that an escape story would be a happy thing, but there is so much dark stuff in this book. I actually found myself cringing while reading parts of it. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? Rating: 3 stars.


64. Julio's Day
Book blurb: It begins in the year 1900, with the scream of a newborn. It ends, 100 pages later, in the year 2000, with the death rattle of a 100-year-old man. The infant and the old man are both Julio.

This graphic novel covers 100 years of history in 100 pages, and is done in an interesting manner: the juxtaposition of personal lives against historical/global events. All things do not make sense in the end, but that is kinda like life no? Why did Julio's father go walkabout? Threads merge and diverge, and we might never know how things turned out. If you decide to read this one, do not miss the introduction, as it sets up the story. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: