May 4, 2014

One Little Word 2014: April

And just like that another month is over.

As you might recall, my word for this year is Cultivate. I am taking a more laid back approach to my word this year. Am picking a theme for each month, and then seeing where I end up.

My focus this month was to cultivate gratitude

grat·i·tude
noun: the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.

If you've been reading my blog, you know that I have a gratitude practice. There is honestly nothing I know that changes your mental, emotional and physical state more than a simple gratitude practice. And it is not complicated to do. 


Here is how I do it. At the end of each day I write down five things I am grateful for that day. Some items are big ones, and some are small kindnesses. And you know what I notice every time? I spend the day looking for things to be grateful for because I need to write them down before I fall asleep. And as we all know, whatever we focus on grows. So I notice things, little things, that I probably would not have, because of this practice.

Here is what we know about the human mind: it is always grasping. For more. For better. In years past we used to compare ourselves to our neighbors. Remember keeping up with the Jonses? Today, with 24/7 TV, movies and Internet access, our neighbors are movie stars and pro athletes! And still I see people trying to keep up: a new car, a bigger house, a larger TV, etc. etc. etc. A captive audience for marketing departments sure, and but here is the thing - the wanting NEVER stops. When you get what you thought you needed/wanted, the bar moves, and you now want/need the bigger/newer/better thing. 

A gratitude practice makes you focus on what you have. It keeps you grounded in the present moment. How many times are you grateful for the simple fact that you got home without getting in an accident? See what I mean? If we really take the time to notice all the ways in which our lives are abundant right now, it calms that grasping mind, which settles our emotions and bodies as well.

This month, I focused on gratitude, and that practice continues to change me in so many ways, and one of the most significant mental model change is this: it could have been worse. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Comparison is the thief of joy. Practicing gratitude helps me to experience joy. Over the big stuff sure, but more importantly over the little, everyday moments in my life.

These are some of the ways I cultivated gratitude this month. How do you do it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words. Thanks for writing, I will start right now.
Elis

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Elis. Would love to hear how your practice goes.