March 17, 2014

Recent Reads

25. The Complete Book Of Running For Women
I am gobbling up running books. Why? I am looking for inspiration, motivation, and good tidbits that help me lace up my shoes.

This book is good, but rather above my current pay grade. When the author states that you are in fact a runner even if you are running a slow, relaxed 10-minute mile pace, she lost me. Umm, would love to be that person, but am not. Yet.

That being said, there is good information that is geared to situations that apply only to women: menstruation, pregnancy, menopause. There are also good training plans (from what I can tell), and I can see dipping back into this book at a later time. My only caution to beginner runners is to look at this as a running guidebook, and not be discouraged. Lace up. Go as slow as you want. Soak in the fact that you are a runner, no matter the pace or distance you currently inhabit. Rating: 3 stars.


26. The Sandman: The Dream Hunters (The Sandman #11 adaptation)
The King of Dreams gets a Japanese twist. This is a fable about a monk, a fox spirit, and other creatures that might or might not have roamed the Japanese countryside a long time ago. While I found the story itself rather straight forward, the art is simply incredible. Rating: 3 stars

27. Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet #1)
I listened to the 20th edition audiobook wonderfully narrated by Stefan Rudnicki, Harlan Ellison, Amanda Karr, Scott Brick and John Rubinstein. I had heard of the controversy surrounding the author, but opted not to read it until I had finished the book.

This is a story clearly targeted at boys aged 9-12. That does not mean it is not fun for girls, or adult readers, but knowing that helps set the correct expectations going in. Ender is a 6 year old boy who is lonely, bullied and friendless, except for his sister. But life is not just scary for Ender. Earth has been at war with aliens, and there is great fear that the human race will not withstand another attack. Fear not humans. It turns out that Ender is a special kid, and even though he is only six, he is whisked away to Battle School in space, where he is expected to be the savior of the world. A heavy burden for those small shoulders. Commence schooling, mock battles, group dynamic dramas, friends made and lost, and foes aplenty, and all this happens at zero gravity people. Will Ender succeed? Will humanity be saved?

This is a fun, fast read, and while it will not stay with me, and I found parts rather repetitive, I enjoyed my time in Ender's world. I am glad I listened to the audio version, as I am not sure that I would have stuck it through in print. 

P.S. Having now read more about OSC (the author), there are things that make more sense. Buggers anyone? Not sure if I will read the other books in this quintet, but will let you know if I do. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: