March 10, 2014

Recent Reads

22. Out of My Mind
My 11 year old nephew is interested in this book, so we are reading and discussing it together.

The story is about 11 year old wheel chair bound Melody. She has cerebral palsy and never been able to walk, talk, or feed herself, but it turns out that there is nothing wrong with her brain. When she finds a way to communicate, is anyone ready to listen? The novel explores the low expectations people have of the disabled, the prejudices and meanness that can be typical of middle school, and how Melody navigates these sharky waters.

This novel is targeted at middle school kids, and could spark wonderful conversations on these important themes. The lack of additional stars are more a reflection of my age. There is not much depth for the adult reader, but then again, we are not the target audience. Rating: 3 stars.


23. Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians #2)
This graphic novel is the second volume in the Olympians series for kids.

You would find Athena on my top five goddess list. Goddess of wisdom, war and craft. What is not to like? In this installment, the fates share several of Athena's adventures. As an aside, have you looked at her family tree? Gives me a headache just looking at it. This is a fun read with wonderful illustrations. Rating: 3 stars.


24. Animal Farm
This is my second reading of Animal Farm. I listened to the audiobook this go around, wonderfully narrated by Ralph Cosham. 

Book blurb: In this satire of the Russian Revolution, Mr. Jones's Manor Farm is transformed into Animal Farm, a democratic society proclaiming All Animals Are Created Equal. After totalitarian rule is re-established, the reality becomes But Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others.

This is a fast but disturbing read. I found myself getting more and more mad as I listened, though I did love the singing of Beasts of England. First published in 1946, this book is as pertinent today as when it was first written. So interesting to have re-read this so close to finishing The Orphan Master's Son. I gave it four stars when I first read it as a young adult. It resonates so much more today, so bumped it up an additional star. Long live Snowball! Rating: 5 stars.

No comments: