August 19, 2013

Recent Reads

88. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2011
I have dipped in and out of this essay collection for the past couple of months. Some are excellent, and some merely good, but I found all of them fascinating and/or informative. The essays in this book have given me much to think about, and has sparked some lively dinner table conversations in our house.

Some of my faves:

1. The Organ Dealer (The worldwide shortage of organs and the buyers and sellers in this market)
2. The Brain That Changed Everything (Removing the hippocampus has unintended consequences)
3. Letting Go (The medical, economic and human costs of fighting to stay alive when we are dying)
4. The Love That Dare Not Squawk It's Name (When you get to the part about the dolphin blowholes you gotta text me)
5. Face-Blind (Imagine how different your life would be if your brain did not recognize faces


Rating: 4 stars.


89. Frommer's Las Vegas 2013

I've been to Vegas many, many times, so this was more of a quick refresher to see what was new for an upcoming trip. Rating: 3 stars.

90. Fodor's Las Vegas 2013

I've been to Vegas many, many times, so this was more of a quick refresher to see what was new for an upcoming trip. Rating: 3 stars.

91. Me Without You

While I like the sentiment and the illustrations, cannot see myself dipping into it again. Rating: 2 stars.

No comments: