July 29, 2013

Recent Reads

80. Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
David Sedaris has been my walking companion for the past week, and he is a good one. He does not complain about the pace I set, whether slow or fast, and has amusing stories to share along the walk. 

In my opinion the only way to fully enjoy a Sedaris book is to listen to one he reads. When you read it yourself, you simply cannot capture the snarkiness of tone required. While there are some essays that had me laughing out loud, I did not love this one as much as his previous books. Most of the essays are travelogues of one sort or another, and I found these more enjoyable than then ones where he writes as a fictional character. All, in all though, if you need a fun walking companion, I would recommend inviting David along. Rating: 3 stars.


81. Building Stories
This has got to be the most artistically creative book I have ever read. The author tells four distinct stories using 14 pieces. What do I mean by pieces? Well, there are bound books, pamphlets, accordion books, huge newspaper style parts, etc. It all comes neatly packaged in this wonderful box. 

So how to even read it? After drooling over the box art, you slowly lift the lid, take everything out of the box, ogle at all the pieces, and then randomly pick one to start reading. There is no order as to how you read this book, and that is part of the magic. Everyone will read it differently, so how the characters and events unfold will be different for each reader. The four main stories all intersect at various points in time - present, past, future. But what might have happened in my future timeline, might be your present one. How cool is that?

When you get the book, I recommend sitting on the floor so you can spread it all around you. Then take a deep breath and dive into this marvelous world. Rating: 4 stars.


82. The Constant Gardener
Though I have seen the movie adaptations of his books, this might be the first book I have ever read by the author. Why start with this one? Kenya is home and I was in the midst of a heat wave in Boston. Seemed like the perfect conditions to dive in. 

Tessa Quayle is found murdered on the shores of Lake Turkana. Her husband Justin sets out to track down what got her killed. We are immersed in the gilded lives of the British High Commission set, the corruption of Moi's Boys, Big Pharma shenanigans, and the tragedy of ordinary people who do not have the resources to get out of the way. Murder, conspiracy, corruption, whistle blowing. Yes, this has all the makings of a thriller, but it does not move at a fast clip. Rather it is a slow meditation on what is seen, what is hidden, what is one's duty, and to whom. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: