July 1, 2013

Recent Reads

69. Pretties
I know, I know. I was looking for a quick read, so should not be surprised, that while this is indeed a quick read, it was not a tasty or filling one. 

This is book #2 in the Uglies trilogy, and suffers from the dreaded in-between-syndrome. Tally is now a New Pretty, and the toughest part of her day is deciding what to wear to a semi-formal. Things occur at the party that set the action in motion, and before you can say bubbly, she is up to her old antics. I like the creativity of the author and the world he setup in the first book, but the characters are still rather one dimensional, and the "bubbly" language was "totally missing" for me. Again, this is a young adult book, so I'm probably not the right audience for it, but still. I expect more. There is a fun cliffhanger at the end, but will it be enough to make me read the the final book in the trilogy? Maybe the next time I get the munchies for a quick reading snack. Rating: 2 stars.

70. Feynman
This graphic biography is a fun way to learn about the life and work of this Nobel Prize winner in Physics. Rating: 3 stars.

71. Burma Chronicles
This graphic memoir is the record of a year the author and his family lived in Burma. Guy is a stay-at-home Dad and cartoonist, and moves to Burma when his wife, who works for Doctors Without Borders, is given a new assignment. While his wife works, Guy and their little son, explore and make new friends. In this travelogue, the author captures the political, economic and social aspects of Burmese and Expat life. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: