July 15, 2013

Recent Reads

74. The Rime of the Modern Mariner
It is sailing season, so books that have anything to do with boats and oceans jump higher on my reading pile.

This is a fun graphic novel. The poem is a wonderfully updated riff on Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I quickly read through on my first sitting, but now plan to slowly pour over the wonderful artwork. Rating: 4 stars.

75. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Even though it is over 200 years old, this poem this sucks you right in. I listened to the LibriVox audio version. Rating: 4 stars.

76. The Siege of Mecca
The subtitle says it all: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda. 

I had never even heard of the siege of Mecca, and since it is considered the first operation of a global jihad in modern times, I would have thought it would have gotten more coverage. 

This nonfiction book reads like a thriller, and connected so many dots for me. A quick, fascinating, and illuminating read. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: