July 2, 2013

One Little Word 2013: June Update

And just like that June is over, so time for a monthly status update. Remember these were my goals for the month:


And how did I do?

Goal #1: Let go of perfection. This one has been an ongoing process to break my all-or-nothing type of attitude. There is no such thing as perfection. I know that. Rationally I know that. But then there are these demons I've been fighting for years and years. If only I was perfect, I would be .... Fill in the blank. Loved. Worthy. Belong. Good enough. And don't you know that there are times I have actually achieved what I thought was the perfect outcome. But then, there is the next hurdle in front of me, and I start all over again. So the goal is to stop this tape that plays in my head. And I am getting better. Not perfect (hah!) but better. For example, just the other day, I missed a couple of days of meditation practice, and my old tapes chimed in: why even bother to continue as I won't have completed the entire program. I gently turned off the tape and played a new one: no problem, as some is better than none. See what I mean?

Goal #2: Let go of comparisons. My mantra is comparison is the thief of happiness. And it is so true. I am totally content until I start comparing myself to someone else. And they are not comparisons that even make sense. I remember getting mad on a golf course because I could not play like Tiger Woods! Did I practice as much as he did? Nope. But somehow I expected to play as well. Crazy making. This is another ongoing goal for me. Stay within myself. Stay centered.

Goal #3: Weekly celebrations. The thing is most of us strive and strive, and then we get there, and instead of celebrating, we turn around and create a new thing to strive for. The focus on celebrating life this month brought me a lot of joy. And I had much to celebrate. So glad I did not miss it.

All in all, am quite proud of my efforts and accomplishments. I hope you had a great month as well. Let's see what July has in store.

No comments: