June 18, 2013

Recent Reads

63. Of Mice and Men
My heart aches. But in a good way. Now that I am no longer in tears, let me try and convey how much I loved this book.

I dole out Steinbeck to myself as treats. And this is why. He captures people and place with so few words that it hardly seems possible he has created this rich, wonderfully cinematic world in your head. Can anyone capture the dreams of desperate people as well as Steinbeck? This is the story of George and Lennie. And while you root for Lennie, it is George who sucker punches you in the gut. Because he knows. And you know that he knows. 

And the icing to this experience was to have the book marvelously read by Gary Sinise. I am off to request the movie version. If you have not read this yet, or the last time you read it you were a snotty teenager, get your hands on a copy as soon as you can tolerate an achy heart. Rating: 5 stars.


64. Lonesome Dove
Turned to page 858, and gasp, it is over. This incredible ride I have been on for the past several days is over. I feel bereft. What oh what will I do without a visit with Gus and Call everyday? Seriously. Cannot even imagine starting another book at this point.

This book won the Pulitzer Prize in 1986, and I am one of those people often leery of prize winners. All that hoopla often lets me down. But this is a wonderful read. Outlaws, Cowboys, Indians, Whores and Texas Rangers Oh My! The characters are so well developed that I feel I've known them most of my life. And I do believe that I am more than slightly in love with Gus. Augustus McCrae. Sigh. Will probably be doodling his name in my journal later today. 

I digress. This is the first published book of the Lonesome Dove series, but the third installment in the series chronologically. The story focuses on the relationship of several retired Texas Rangers and their adventures driving a cattle herd from Texas to Montana. I loved this book so much that after I have recovered, I'll probably get around to reading the rest of the series. Rating 5 stars.

65. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
I listened to the audiobook which is wonderfully narrated by Cassandra Campbell and Bahni Turpin. Deftly weaving four threads, the book explores the life of Henrietta Lacks, her family, the science and scientists who used (and continue to use) HeLa cells, and the story of the author's journey in writing this book. Narrative non-fiction that sucks you in with a good mix of science, history, personal anecdotes, and social commentary. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: