May 27, 2013

Recent Reads

57. Goliath
There are always at least two sides to any story, and this graphic novel tells the famous story of David and Goliath from the giant's point of view. Goliath is a giant, true, but he does not like fighting, or the spilling of blood. Given the choice he would rather do some admin work. He gets roped in to this now famous battle, and is not happy about it. A fun quick read with wonderful art. Rating: 3 stars.

58. 84, Charing Cross Road
I loved the movie with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft, so decided to read the book. This delightful novella is a true story of a transatlantic business correspondence about used books that developed into a close friendship. 

There are so many wonderful lines. Some of my faves:

1. It's against my principles to buy a book I haven't read, it's like buying a dress you haven't tried on.
2. Anything he liked I'll like except if it's fiction. I never can get interested in things that didn't happen to people who never lived. 
Rating: 4 stars.

59. Duchess of Bloomsbury Street
This is a companion book to the more widely know 84, Charing Cross Road. The edition I read had both books. What a delightful surprise.

While 84, Charing Cross Road is a collection of letters that span 20 years between the author and Frank Doel (and others), the Duchess of Bloomsbury Street is a collection of diary entries made by the author on her first trip to London. Her keen observations of people, time and place, makes for an interesting read. As does her dry humor. While I liked this fun, fast read, I did not love it as much as 84.


So love this sentiment she express in the book:I despair of ever getting it through anybody's head I am not interested in bookshops, I am interested in what's written in the books. I don't browse in bookshops, I browse in libraries, where you can take a book home and read it, and if you like it you go to a bookshop and buy it.

Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: