May 20, 2013

Recent Reads

55. Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir
As readers, I know you know Tolstoy's famous line about families. Well, I humbly submit an addendum: each crazy family is crazy in its own way. This memoir is hilarious y'all. I listened to the audio wonderfully narrated by the author. I usually stay away from author narrations, but this one was brilliant. I found myself shaking my head in horror, talking back to Jenny, and laughing out loud - often all in the same paragraph. 

Now a couple of things you need to know going in:

1. If you are a sensitive type prone to fainting, this might not be the book for you.
2. If you have unresolved PTSD issues from your own childhood, this might not be the book for you.
3. If you are offended by cuss words, this might not be the book for you.
4. If however you like the idea of having a shot every time you hear the word vagina, open up a bottle and enjoy the ride.
Rating: 4 stars.

56. Bitterblue
The thing about me is that I have yet to meet a trilogy I did not finish. And yes, I've got a several trilogies awaiting my attention.

I so wanted to love this book. After being disappointed with Fire (Graceling Realm #2) I was hoping that this one would be better. At the end of Graceling (Graceling Realm #1), you just knew that there would be a Bitterblue book didn't you? But the story of a girl coming to terms with a monster father who destroys the kingdom was already explored by Fire, and this book does not really add anything as to how a daughter reconciles her love for a father who is a psychopath. While it was fun to see the old gang together again, the plot was not tight, and the book meanders on way too long. 


This series has gotten rave reviews, and I know that I am one of the lone voices crying out in the desert, but maybe it would have worked better for me if I had read it while I was the target audience - a young adult. Rating: 2 stars.

No comments: