March 11, 2013

Recent Reads

26. Maus, Vol.2: And Here My Troubles Began
This is one of the few cases where the sequel is as good, if not better, than the one before. We pick up where Volume One left off in Auschwitz, and learn about what happens to Vladek and Anja through the end of the war. Rating: 5 stars.

27. The Communist Manifesto
Reading for a Coursera class. Agree with the premise, but not enough to finish the book. Rating: DNF

28. Madame Bovary
Reading for a Coursera class. Giving up about half way through. Just not getting into it. Rating: DNF

29. The Book of Joe
I participated in the BOTNS Secret Santa game last December, and this is one of the books I got from my elf (aka Lil). This was one of her fave books for the year, and I can see why. I was hooked the moment I started reading it. 

So imagine that you are a teenage boy growing up in small town America, and not only do you have no friends, let alone a way to get laid, but your mother kills herself, and you cannot find common ground with your father or older brother. Your final year of high school things look up, but you knew it was too good to last. When you shake off that small town dust, you write a scathing "novel" about the characters you grew up with, and not only is the book a success, but it gets adapted for the big screen. Your home town is so upset, they try to sue you for libel. Not a problem since you have not been home for 17 years or so, let alone kept in touch with anyone back there. When you suddenly need to return for family reasons, you come face to face with all the demons you thought you had left behind. The writing is funny, witty and snarky - the way some of the best conversations you have can be. The story explores themes of love, loss, sex, community, glory days, and friendship. 
My only complaint with the book is that while the boys/men are flushed out nicely, the women are all rather one dimensional. My first time reading the author, and I will be adding his other works to my TBR pile. Rating: 4 stars.


*******
So here is one significant way I have changed as I get older. I used to read every book I started. All the way to the end. No skipping around, no skimming. Even if I did not like the book. Reminds you of school days no? Not sure why I did that. Out of some loyalty to the author? Because one of my mottos is I finish what I start? I don't honestly know. But slowly over the years, I have taken the brave step of simply bailing on a book that was not grabbing me. Once I got to the realization that there are more books I want to read than I will ever get to in multiple lifetimes, there is no time to waste on books that do no grab me in some way. I do not have to love it, but it has to have enough to get me to the end. So, here I am. I'm a book quitter, and I'm OK with that.

No comments: