September 17, 2012

Recent Reads

97. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
I wanted to love this book. I really did. I love the clever premise. Who would not love a story told from an imaginary friend's point of view? Especially if you've ever had one.

I really liked the first half or so of the book - the character/scene setup. Getting to view things from Budo's perspective was fascinating. However, once we get to the "thriller" part of the book I found myself losing interest. While I quite willingly suspended disbelief for the first half, the second half did not ring true.

It is interesting that this book is recommended for people who loved Room, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I am ambivalent about the former, while I loved the latter. Rating: 3 stars.


98. Emily, Alone 
This is a sequel to Wish You Were Here, which is a book I have not read, but works well as a stand alone read.

It is often said that life is about the journey, not the destination. This book is a wonderful meditation on just that.

If we are lucky, we grow older. Gracefully, or not. With someone by our side, or alone. In sickness or in health. With money in the bank, or not. The writing is beautiful, and we are drawn into Emily's life. A snapshot in time. The highs and lows. The love and loss. The connections and misunderstandings. The minutiae. This is a slow paced, character driven novel, so if you are a plot driven junkie, this is not a book for you.  Rating: 4 stars.
 

No comments: