September 6, 2012

Recent Movies

I don't get to see movies when they first come out. By the time I think about seeing them, they are usually out on DVD. So most of what I watch is not current.

1. My Week with Marilyn
The thing is, I don't really care about how men viewed Marilyn. This would have been a much more interesting story if told from her point of view. I know that it was based on a memoir, but did not find it a compelling story. Did love the wonderful supporting cast though.

2. The Descendants
Another book adapted for the movies. Interesting story, but on the lighter chick-lit side. I wonder if the book explores the sense of betrayal and loss on a deeper level.

3. One For the Money
To be fair, I had very low expectations for this one, and so was not disappointed. Another book to movie adaptation, and I was not impressed by the book either.

4. We Need to Talk About Kevin
This is the strongest movie of the lot. Another book adaptation, interesting how all of these are. A compelling, if incredibly, disturbing story. Lots to ponder with this one. Nature versus nurture. Not a movie for the faint of heart. The book is on my TBR list.

No comments: