August 25, 2010

Recent Reads

1. Marley and Me
This is a good read. Made me laugh. Made me cry. Made me want to get a dog - well not quite. This was our read aloud book on the boat this summer.

2. How Did You Get This Number?
Stumbled across this book of 9 essays in ebook format at my library. It is a quick and enjoyable read.

3. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Another book I read in ebook format. I was intrigued by the idea of the story, but was not impressed with the book. The story is told from the point of view of Rose, who at the age of 9 discovers that she can taste her mother's emotions in the food she prepares. As she grows older in this sad disconnected family, her abilities get stronger, and she can identify not only the feelings of the people who prepare food, but the feelings of everyone/everything in the entire food chain. Could not help wondering if I would consider such an ability a gift or a burden.

4. The Red Pyramid
The first book in the new Kane Chronicles introduces kids to Egyptian mythology. The author has gotten rather formulaic in his writing, and while this is not as good a read as the Percy Jackson series, it has some interesting themes.

No comments: