June 6, 2010

Recent Reads

1. Peace Like a River
This book got rave reviews so I was really looking forward to a good read. It was not that. I did love the style of writing and the imagery, but in the end was disappointed with the book and would not recommend it.

2. How to Be an Explorer of the World
I read through this book every now and again. It reminds me to really look at things and people around me. I always find something to inspire me.

3. I'll Mature When I'm Dead
I have not read a book by the author in a while, and I loved all but one of his short essays. I found myself smiling, giggling or in hysterical laughter for much of it. Is there a better recommendation than that?

4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when it first came out and am completely puzzled about the popularity of the book and the series. I found the pace good, but simply could not get into the book - and found the Salander character not believable. Yes, there were some interesting ideas - but enough to get such critical acclaim? Everyone I know, except for one friend, raves about the book - something I find fascinating. I disliked the book so much that I have not bothered to read the other 2 books in the series. It was the cover review in the NY Times book review last week, and the reviewer was rather ambivalent about the series as well. Well, just goes to show that you cannot please everyone.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Hey! Sorry you didn't like "Peace Like a River". I loved how the author crafts sentences ... like chocolate for my eyes. At least we agree on "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"!

Elizabeth said...

Pam, I loved the writing style of Peace like a River - but the story lost me about half way through. It is always so interesting how the same book can evoke such different responses.