February 18, 2009

Recent Reads

My recent reads have been heavily focused on Thailand - not a surprise as I'm headed there in 5 days. The tough part is deciding which books to take along with me on my trip.

1. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
My book club read for this month. I loved it. First work I've read by the author, who has a wonderful writing style. Learned a little about the DR - and realize how little I know about the history of the land and its people. The book has some tough subject matter, but is written in a conversational style that I really enjoyed. If you are a Lord of the Rings fan, this book is especially delightful.

2. Life is a Verb
I follow the authors blog, and loved this book. Nothing you have not heard before, but a good reminder to live life with intention.

3. Lonely Planet - Thailand
This is the book I bought to take along with me on my trip. It's hard to pick one travel guide - they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

4. Frommer's - Thailand
The other book that I read and almost bought.

5. Borderlines
Am currently in the last chapter, and enjoying the read. The author has a funny way of telling his story about travels in Thailand and Burma.

6. The Pleasures and Treasures of Thailand and Myanmar
An especially fun read if you are into shopping. Gives a good overview of what to buy where - the deals you can get, and the scams to watch out for. My first time reading one in this series.

7. Travellers Thailand
An excellent overview of the country. A really good place to start if you are thinking about visiting Thailand.

No comments: