February 4, 2009

Recent Reads

1. A Million Little Pieces
Yes, I know there is much controversy surrounding this book, but it is a gripping read none-the-less. Really hard to read at times, but the guy is quite a compelling story teller.

2. Disgrace
One of my Jan book club selections. First book I've read by the author, who has been on my list to read for a while. He writes beautifully. He is able to convey large themes with very few words. This was a really hard book to read - I felt like I needed emotional downtime afterwards, but it was worth it.

3. The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality
Another of my book club reads in Jan. Do you have to believe in God to live a moral life? What purpose does religion serve? If this is the first time you've read anything on the topic, this is a good read - though I do prefer Dawkins. There to seem to be alot of exclamation marks! :-)

4. In the Convent of Little Flowers
I do not usually read short stories - just as I get into the characters, the story is over. These stories are really crisp and well written. Very disturbing subject matter in all but one of the stories that deal with arranged marriages, abuse of aging parents, etc.

No comments: