June 25, 2008

Dexter

As you might know, I'm not a big TV fan, and tend to watch shows on DVD that get highly recommended. Recently watched a couple of episodes of this show, and cannot tell you how much it disturbed me. There is something creepy about the protagonist being a serial killer - am I supposed to relate to him in some way? Does killing "bad" people make it ok? I am fascinated by how crimes are solved, and think there are some really interesting ideas - but cannot get past how creeped out I got watching the show.

Okay, and here's another pet peeve - what is with how women are portrayed? Could they be any less ridiculous? Where are the shows with interesting women roles?

Do you watch it? What do you think?

1 comment:

Pam said...

Hi Elizabeth;
Since reading this blog I've been thinking about TV and what I watch. You already know, given my blog story about the guy in the restaurant, that I love watching these kinds of show. I read both of Jeff Lindsey's books (the show is based on his Dexter titles) and liked them. Found it really weird and hard to believe that it would be possible to like a character who is a killer. I've watched the first two seasons of Dexter and liked them. I think it's an interesting topic for conversation - Dexter's "code" - the one Harry taught him. I am opposed to violence in general so it's interesting to compare/contrast/contemplate my recreational tv watching and the differences between that and my 'real life'. Not too long ago I listened to a podcast that I'm only recalling part of the story. The main woman who was interviewed was a survivor of a family member who was murdered. The murder had never been solved. She had come to terms with it (the unsolved part) and had started a campaign to stop violence as entertainment.