August 9, 2007

Recent Reads

1. The Innocent Man by John Grisham
My book club book for July. I am a Grisham fan, so was looking forward to reading his first attempt at non-fiction. Most of the women in the book club had not read Grisham before and really liked the book. Unfortunately, I did not like it at all. I found the writing clunky and awkward. Where was that great story-telling style of his? On the positive side, the story is an interesting one, and gave us lots to talk about. I applaud him for trying a new genre - but must say that he is much better at fiction.

2. Helen of Troy by Margaret George
I absolutely loved this book. I was a little worried in the beginning - her father was Zeus in the form of a swan?!! - but was hooked almost immediately. It is great fun to read this story from Helen's point of view - we always hear so much about how the guys experienced it, with Helen as the footnote - "the most beautiful woman in the world". I finished the book a couple of night ago, and savored every page. After my sojourn in the land of Helen, Hector, Paris, Achilles, gods, goddesses and heroes I must admit that it has been a tough transition back to reality.

No comments: