February 19, 2007

I Feel Bad About My Neck:

And Other Thoughts On Being A Woman, by Nora Ephron

This was my book club’s book this month, and though it was a light-hearted, slim volume, it sparked an interesting discussion.

The Book: A quick and light read – not deep or preachy. I like her movies and this is the first work by her I’ve read. I like her style of writing – the book almost felt like a conversation with an older sister over decadent chocolate. In my view her overall message was: Enjoy and appreciate what you have while you have it.

The Book Club: It was interesting to hear how the women in my group think about aging. Sample of topics discussed: how aging is different for us than our mother’s generation, how the amount of time and money spent on maintenance increases as we get older, how body parts start to hurt as you get older (and apparently a miracle pill available), etc.

Something to chew on – what is the root drive behind anti-aging products (other than the $ made by those industries). Is it to really to look younger? Or is the goal to somehow prevent aging, and in that way not get closer to death?

I love the new Dove campaign. Check it out here.

No comments: