February 4, 2007

Flossing

I know I should do it.
I know that it is good for me.
It's easy to do.
I have loads of floss lying about.
Yet, I simply cannot do it.
What gives?!

My dentist has informed me that I have lovely teeth, and cavities is not my problem. However, if I want to keep these lovely teeth in my mouth I should floss! Guess my ancestors had no problems with cavities, but hard a hard time convincing their gums to hold on to those teeth!
Reminds me of seeing my grandparents dentures in a glass on the bedside table. Was I the only one freaked out by that? What alien life form is this - that takes out their teeth when they go to bed?

Each week I start anew with my resolve to floss. I did today. One day down.
How many to my next dental cleaning? A place I go to get scolded about not flossing. Like I'm five. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an idea for you. I don't floss. I use a Waterpic. It's like a power washer for your gums. It costs about $50 but you can make the money back by not buying floss anymore. Try it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, So here's the official word......the waterpick is definitely NOT the way to go. People show up at the dentist with periodontal infections because the bacteria gets forced under the gums...FLOSSING IS THE WAY TO GO.

Yep, it's not fun. You can try those little flossers that look like a bow (as in bow and arrow) on a stick for a quick one handed job. I've seen some confirmed non-flossers turn themselves around.

Once it starts to feel normal...really good, you will want to floss more(maybe I am overstating here).

Hang in there. If you never floss try doing it 3 days a week ...then work your way up.

Also, this may help as motivation...recent research shows that people with healthy gums are healthier all around (heart especially).

Why am I responding to this...I used to talk flossing until I was blue in the face at work. Yep, I have a DMD.

Do I REALLY practice what I preach? To tell you the truth, NO.

But who does that? I am like everyone else...I know I should and I try to do it but I don't always get to it.