September 18, 2017

Recent Reads

96. A Bride's Story, Vol. 4
This installment could be subtitled "Double Trouble."

In this volume, we stop at a fishing village along the Aral Sea, and tumble headlong into the lives of young, loud, and troublesome Laila and Leily, The twins are not fishing for fish, well, they do that too, but they are really fishing for husbands. After all, their father doesn't seem to have his act together, and they are rather impatient. Their (mis)adventures made me smile, and I was rooting for them the entire time. The art continues to be astoundingly good, and I really liked getting a look at this community and their clothing style, etc.

I look forward to seeing where this story goes. Rating: 4 stars.

97. 2 Sisters: A Super-Spy Graphic Novel
This is an example of a graphic novel I wish I had read with Kindt fans. The rave reviews make me thing I missed the point of this one in a major way. There are things I really liked about this one, and the two sisters and the artifact threads were interesting enough, but I'm not a fan of the art style, and after the final page was left wondering what it was all about. Rating: 2 stars.

98. Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
Updated August 2017: Re-read before I dive into Volume Two.

From the author's note: And the root of my desire, I finally realized, was to tell a story about what it means to be a survivor. A survivor, not just of a cataclysmic war, but of racial conflict and its antecedent: hatred. And to confront the question: how does one whom history has made a monster escape her monstrosity? How does one overcome the monstrousness of others without succumbing to a rising monstrousness within?

As good as the first read. Can't wait to see how this yarn unfolds.
--------------------------
First read in December 2016:
I don't even know how to summarize this graphic novel, so will stick to the blurb:

"Set in an alternate world of art deco beauty and steampunk horror, Montress tells the epic story of Maika Halfwolf, a teenage survivor of a cataclysmic war between humans and their hated enemies, the Arcanics. In the face of oppression and terrible danger, Maika is both hunter and hunted, searching for answers about her mysterious past as those who seek to use her remain just one step behind...and all the while, the monster within begins to awaken..."

This might well be the most beautifully illustrated graphic novel I've read in ages. The art alone makes this one worth picking up. But, that's not all you get. This is a wonderfully women/girl/female centric world, and trying to figure out what different groups the main characters belong to is part the fun. This one is certainly more action/plot driven than I'd expect for the first volume. There isn't much world building, and you are left to figure things out at your own pace. And there are things that we just don't know, and I look forward to uncovering those plot lines as this story unfolds. There's also this adorable fox. There so much I loved about this one, and if you are a cat person, you must get this one pronto. Delightful. Violent. Dark. Not for the kiddos. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: