September 11, 2017

Recent Reads

93. A Bride's Story, Vol. 1
As a kid I was fascinated by stories of the Silk Road, so imagine my delight when I stumbled upon this Manga series set in Central Asia in the 19th century. This historical fiction graphic novel slowly reveals the culture, artifacts, and traditions of people we don't often get to read about.

The story itself centers around Amir Halgal, a young woman who finds herself married to a twelve year old boy, eight years younger than herself. Over the course of this book she settles into married life, and has to deal with cultural and familial differences in a new place while surrounded by strangers.

I loved so much about this book, but the art is what steals the show. Wonderfully detailed pen and ink illustrations that made me feel as if I was walking in Amir's world. I could feel the textures, taste the smells, hear the sounds, see the colors. I love Amir, and was delighted by how her new family treated her. If I have one complaint, it's that they were simply too nice and welcoming, but maybe that's just my jaded point of view.

This didn't get a higher rating because I had issues with some of the pacing, and inspite of the historical setting, there is no doubt that this is Japanese Manga, and all those big eyes can get a tad annoying. That being said, I'd highly recommend this one to anyone interested in learning about a different culture, and reading about a strong woman character in a world that is oh so Patriarchal. Wonderful. Rating: 4 stars.

94. A Bride's Story, Vol. 2
I'll keep this one short and not repeat all my gushing from my review of the first volume of this Manga series.

The art continues to be superb, the story is engaging, and I got used to all those huge Manga eyes. I love that this story educates about the culture without being heavy handed. Those scenes around the value of sewing, embroidery and dowry cloth are wonderful. Plus, we get introduced to more feisty female characters. Just loved everything about this one. Rating: 5 stars.

95. A Bride's Story, Vol. 3
This installment of life on the 19th century Silk Road has Mr. Smith making his way to Ankara. On the way he meets Talas, a young widow with an interesting and very sad history. Their lives get intertwined in ways neither expects.

It's easy to in this modern age to forget that we live in a patriarchal society as so much is not as overtly visible as in the past. Talas is another interesting character, though not as well developed as Amir, and her situation is very different as she has no man to "protect" her. I loved the relationship between Talas and her mother-in-law. A bit fairytale-ish I suppose, but lovely nonetheless.

The art continues to be fantastic. There isn't as much action in this one, though the market scenes with all that delish food had my mouth watering. After three volumes I'm still unsure about Mr. White. Is this white guy supposed to represent us the reader? Outsiders trying to make sense of a different culture? It was fun that characters we've met before make a cameo appearance, but this one is clearly focused on the lack of agency women have in the culture.

Am gobbling up these books. So good. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: