January 12, 2017

Cinemascope: The Handmaiden

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.

Image result for the handmaiden

Released in 2016.

Plot line: A gripping and sensual tale of two women - a young Japanese Lady living on a secluded estate, and a Korean woman who is hired to serve as her new handmaiden, but is secretly plotting with a conman to defraud her of a large inheritance. Inspired by the novel Fingersmith by British author Sarah Waters, The Handmaiden borrows the most dynamic elements of its source material and combines it with Park Chan-wook’s singular vision to create an unforgettable viewing experience.

I hardly ever go to see movies at the theaters. It's not that I can't, it's that by the time I think about seeing something I really want to see, it's already run its course and I have to wait for the DVD to show up at my library. This movie I knew I wanted to see, and I put it on my calendar so I would not miss it at the cinemas. 

There is so much I love about this South Korean adaptation of Fingersmith. If you've read the book, or seen the English adaptation, you know what to expect. If you have not, then sit back and enjoy the ride. The scenes are all beautifully composed, the acting really good, and I was surprised at how explicit the sex scenes were. This is a movie I will watch again on DVD, as I think I missed some of the cinematography because my eyes were busy reading the translated text on the screen.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a movie worth watching.

No comments: