July 28, 2016

Cinemascope: The Crimson Field

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.



Released in 2015.

Plot line: Doctors, nurses, and women volunteers work together in a tented field hospital to heal the bodies and souls of men wounded in the Great War. It becomes clear that no training could have prepared the volunteer nurses Kitty Trevelyan, Flora Marshall and Rosalie Berwick for this work, but a breath of fresh air soon arrives at the hospital in the form of Sister Joan Livesey, a disarming and spirited nurse with a decided mischievous edge.

I really enjoy period pieces, and this one in a field hospital hit all my sweet spots. We know that war is hell, but it also creates opportunities and societal upheavals that change the world as we know it. I love that there are so many women characters in this one, and that they are all wonderfully complex. I'd recommend this one to fans of historical fiction and period pieces, and Downton Abbey fans will delight in seeing two of the cast in a new light.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a movie worth watching.

No comments: