October 13, 2014

Recent Reads

140. Manon Lescaut
I am currently enrolled in the Coursera class The Fiction of Relationship, and this is the first in the list of assigned reading. I had never heard of this French novella, first published in 1731, and am delighted to have made its acquaintance. 

This is the story of the Chevalier de Grieux, a nobleman who falls in love with the beautiful and poor Manon Lescaut. While on the surface it reads like a romance novel, this is really a story of obsession, passion, betrayal and class set in 18th century Paris. The entire story is narrated by Des Grieux, so we only have his version of the story, and I love how the author does not judge either character, but lays out a story and lets the reader decide how to feel about the characters.

At times I had to remind myself that the narrator was only in his late teens, a time when passions can rage out of control, but this complex story asks some important questions of who we are in relation to others and how much love can blind us. This was originally going to get at least 4 stars, but I got rather annoyed by the Chevalier's reluctance to take responsibilities for his actions. Rating: 3 stars.


141. Amulet, Vol. 6: Escape From Lucien
Book blurb: Emily, Navin, and their friends continue to battle the Elf King in hopes of destroying him forever, but one of his most loyal followers, Max, isn't making it easy for them. The crew journeys to Lucien, a city that's been ravaged by the war. Emily has more enemies there than she realizes -- and it'll take everything she's got to get herself and her friends out of the city alive.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best young adult graphic novels work really well for adults as well. Our heroes face new dangers on many fronts. Will they survive? This story will not make any sense unless you read the books in order, and I plan to revisit the entire collection once the story concludes. The art only is worth the price of admission. Rating: 3 stars.


142. Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?
Sometimes comics can capture a mood so much better than prose, and that is the case with this graphic memoir. The author describes with endearing honesty the love, and sorrow, and loss, and frustration, and craziness, and expense, and the laugh out loud moments that the final years with elderly parents can entail. This is a memoir, so is very particular to her experience, but the author's storytelling skill makes it seem like an universal experience in an uncanny way. 

I am not an only child (unlike the author), and am happy that both my parents are alive and well. And yet. They will not talk about end of life issues either! Might this book make a good birthday present for them? Or would it be too much "unpleasantness"? Rating: 4 stars.


143. Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Reading this book is like taking a class on Comics History, and like any good class, there are parts that are a bit of a slog and parts that blow the top of your head off. There is something magical about learning about Comics in a book written as a Comic. I took my time with it, reading slowly and letting the ideas sink in, and you know what? It has enhanced the way I read graphic novels! 

I have long felt that Comics can often convey many concepts better than prose, and I've struggled to understand why that is. This books helped me to understand. I see things that I was blind to before. You know that old adage, you see what you are prepared to see? Well, my eyes have been opened, and I cannot tell you how excited I am to begin the Comic Books and Graphic Novels Coursera course in a couple of weeks. 

I would recommend this nonfiction book to anyone interested in learning about Comics History, and it should be required reading for those of us that read Comics on a regular basis. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: