October 9, 2014

Cinemascope: Queen

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.


Released in 2014.

Plot line: A Delhi girl from a traditional family sets out on a solo honeymoon after her marriage gets cancelled.

This is a Bollywood film in Hindi, and I watched with English subtitles, though I was surprised at how much Hindi I actually understood. This is not your typical movie from either Hollywood or Bollywood - not your typical boy meets girl story. It is the coming of age of a young woman from Delhi, whose life does not roll out as planned. There are so few movies about young girls coming of age, and many of the ones that exist tend to play out in ways you might expect. This is an unexpected delight, but be warned that in typical Bollywood style, there are songs, and the movie is long.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a movie worth watching.

No comments: