April 16, 2013

What next?

I do not think I've had a restful night's sleep since last Tuesday, when I heard the news that my brother would need surgery. Friday, the day of his surgery was an especially stressful day. Even after the great news that everything went well, it took about twelve hours to let it really sink in and relax. His recovery has been going well. So I started to breathe easier.

Yesterday was the running of the Boston Marathon. An event I love. I cry each and every time a Kenyan runner crosses the finish line. Especially if they are in first place. I take out my huge Kenyan flag and cheer them on. This year was special in that I am a runner too. Was feeling great. Kenyan men finished 2nd, 5th and 7th. The women did even better finishing 1st and 3rd, and you know I was crying when Rita Jeptoo broke that tape. What a smart race she ran.

Then it was time to root for the rest of the field. Not elite runners maybe, but inspiring to me. Each and every one. And then two explosions rocked Boston near the finish line, and all I could do was watch in shock and horror. We had actually planned on being at the finish line yesterday, and if events had worked out as planned would have been. The news started to roll in about the dead and injured. The numbers kept climbing. And just like that I can barely breathe again.

No comments: