December 28, 2012

Recent Reads

130. The Red Tree
I love everything about this picture book. I'd recommend reading it slowly, and really looking at the wonderful art. Put it aside and let it soak in. And then read it again. And again. Shaun Tan is rapidly becoming one of my fave authors. Rating: 5 stars.

131. Alif the Unseen
Technically I'd give this book 2.5 stars. This urban fantasy has all the right ingredients. A philosophical exploration of faith, and security, and hackers, and oppressive regimes, and forbidden love, and Djinn. However I was not sucked into the story, and I thought the characters rather tepid - even the Djinn! Rating: 3 stars.

132. The Nutcracker
I read the Eyewitness version illustrated by James Mayhew in preparation for seeing the ballet this week. Having not grown up in the US (or Europe for that matter), this is a story I do not know. Actually I had heard it was a children's story where toys came alive, but no-one said anything about mice! I used to think that the iconic image of the nutcracker was a toy soldier. In my defense, I did mention that I grew up on the equator right? Having no childhood memories to fall back on, I found the fable an OK read, but am ever so glad I did. Now when mice burst out on the stage of the ballet I won't be so puzzled.  Rating: 2 stars.

133. The Alexander Cipher
I am a fan of Alexander, so thought this would be fun archaeological/good guys/bad guys romp. After listening to 4 hours of the audio version have decided to call it quits. I found the writing rather formulaic, and don't get even me started on the women characters. Life is too short for bad books. Rating: 1 star.

134. poemcrazy
I'm not a huge fan of poetry. Had a teacher drain all the joy out of poems for me when I was a wee one. However, I am slowly finding my way back. This book is a fun creative tool for people who love words. Yes, there are lessons on how to put those words into poems, but it is the word play that hooked me. Love the idea of word banks. Interspersed with the lessons are anecdotes from the author's life and classes. And while I might not be rushing to my desk to write a poem, reading this book has clearly improved my personal journaling. Rating: 4 stars.

135. Lost & Found

This picture book collects three stories by the author: The Red Tree, The Lost Thing, and The Rabbits. The Red Tree is my fave. The art consists of lovely paintings and collages that would actually stand quite well on their own. With deceptively simple text, these stories explore depression and what is lost and gained as we grow up, and when cultures clash. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: