December 10, 2012

Recent Reads

117. Sandman, Vol 10: The Wake
The finale of the Sandman series was a bit of a let down. I have loved this series, but this one did not grab me. Rating: 2 stars.

118. New York Drawings
This is a fun book to flip through. The author captures scenes that are quintessentially New York and has a style that I really like. I liked the juxtaposition of finished, published drawings with sketchbook ones. I would have rated the book higher if there was more insight into the drawings - what attracted his attention to a particular scene for example. Rating: 3 stars.

119. Flight Behavior
I am a fan of the author, and have read all but one of her books. As expected, the writing is luscious, and her insights into human nature dead on. I liked the book overall, however the story itself did not pull me in, and dragged in parts. Rating: 3 stars.

120. The Innocent
I listened to this audio book (narrated by Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy) on a long road trip. After seeing all the rave reviews this book got, I am simply astounded. I found the characters one-dimensional, the dialogue uninspired, and the plot rather weak. I would not have finished it if I had not been so road weary. Rating: 1 star.

No comments: