December 14, 2012

Recent Reads

121. The Arrival
This wordless graphic novel is beautifully illustrated, and wonderfully depicts the universality of the immigrant experience. Rating: 4 stars.

122. Digital Art Wonderland
This book covers step by step instructions on how to create many layered digital collages. While I found that information useful, the collages created in the book are just not to my taste. Rating: 2 stars.

123. The Snow Child
Can you wish for something so fiercely that you wish it into existence? This fairy tale set in Alaska is told in three parts, and starts out strong. I really liked part one, but the rest of the story was one I did not find compelling. I did however really enjoy the relationship dynamics in the book. Rating: 3 stars.

124. The Power of Habit
Don't you just love when books change your mental maps, and you see things in a different light? This book is a fascinating look into personal and organizational habits. In a nutshell, the habit loop consists of a cue, the routine, a reward, and belief that change is possible. No, that is not a spoiler - the case studies in this book alone make it worth the read. And while the author touches on how to change "bad" habits, this is not a self help book. The audio version I listened to was narrated by Mike Chamberlain, and his reading detracted from my enjoyment of the book, though the subject matter was compelling enough that I pushed through to the end. Rating: 4 stars.

125. Journal Fodder 365
As person who has kept a visual journal for years, I found the art prompts rather basic. The most interesting part of this book for me were the writing prompts. If however, you are new to visual journaling, and that blank white page freaks you out, this would be a good book for you. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: