May 22, 2010

Recent Reads

1. Moloka'i
Loved, loved this book. Historical fiction is one of my fave genres, and this one is so well written. Learned something new as well - had no idea about the history of the leper colony in Hawaii.

2. The Lightning Thief
This is the first in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. When I visited my nieces, they are all reading their way through this YA series and I love how the books have revived Greek mythology. We had debates about which god we would choose to be and why. Love that! This is a fun, quick read. Not as good as some of the other books in the same category, but fun none-the-less. Think I've found my beach/boating books for the summer - have to read them so I can discuss them with my nieces.

3. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
This book was recommended to me by Shiny - a fellow reader - and all I can say is Wow! This is an incredible gem of a book. Yes it is a young adult (YA) book, but the honesty, directness and poignancy is breathtaking.

No comments: