November 14, 2009

Recent Reads

1. Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!
My second Fannie Flagg book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing is good, the characters fun, the setting travels back and forth over several decades. An example of a good read that is not painful and dark, and leaves you feeling better about the world than you did when you started the book.

2. The Lost Symbol
Ok, I was braced for this not being a great read, so was not disappointed. The story line is interesting, but Brown spends way too much time pontificating in my opinion, as opposed to telling the story. I did learn interesting things about the Masons, and this book does for DC what his other books did for Paris and Rome. Makes me want to visit DC again.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Welcome to the World stayed with me for a long time. Made me think long and hard about the effects secrets have in families.

Elizabeth said...

Mary, could not agree more. The ripples are cast for generations, and no-one seems to know the source.