November 3, 2009

Recent Reads

1. Handle With Care
I have really loved books by this author, but this was not one of them. It is an okay read. I did enjoy learning about OI, but think the writing has gotten rather formulaic. It is the story of a family in crisis - 2 sisters, one of whom is born with a genetic disorder the other has issues of a non-genetic kind. Add into the mix stressed parents and a lawyer and you've got a medicine/family/law drama - very similar to My Sister's Keeper - but not half as good. The book does a nice job of telling the story from different characters points of view - but on the whole was not a book I loved. And the ending - was that really necessary?

2. Hope for the Flowers
My sister loves this book and the first time I read it was in her home many moons ago. Re-read it this past week while in Vegas - love it. A reminder to ask ourselves why we do what we do. Just because everyone else does something does not make it a good thing to do. It is a book for kids but the topics sure are about the larger topics of life.

3. Map of Bones
You know how you read a book, and while reading it you realize that you've read it before but cannot recall the story? Well, this was one of those for me. It is not great literature, but a fun airport read, and I did learn a couple of things that I'm going to research further. I've read loads about the Vatican's history and how Constantine created the Bible as we know it today. But why is the story about Doubting Thomas in only one of the Gospels? Was it really to smear Thomas - the gnostic - the one who spread Christianity to India? Makes you wonder no?

No comments: