October 18, 2009

Stories






















I love stories. Hearing them. Reading them. Telling them. With all this multi-media at our disposal this is skill I think we are losing. Remember when you were a kid and asked, "Tell me a story"? At some point we got too grown up to ask that childish question. Not childish at all in my opinion. It is how we learn, experience and remember.

I've been thinking lately about all those stories that disappear when people die. What happens to those stories if no-one remembers them? Am reminded of a particular moment in time - I'm in Cochin with my maternal Ammachi at the beside of her sister who is in a coma. Ammachi is telling me stories about the antics they got up to when they were little girls. A memory that haunts me because I did not record the details at the time. Since then have captured stories that my loved ones tell me in my journals. And just this week bought a digital voice recorder to capture the nuances of stories.

How do you capture your stories?

No comments: