October 1, 2009

Q&A

Questions. They help clarify things. They can open up whole areas to be explored that I had little knowledge about. I find that most adults tend to be careful about what they question. After all, we have created a mental map of the world that works, and dang it we do not want to change it - not only is it hard work, but can be downright scary to do so. So goes the saying: Ignorance is bliss. Maybe. Maybe not.

And then there are answers. Asking a question does in no way mean that you will get an honest/accurate/truthful/complete/satisfactory answer. Does this diminish the asking? I think not.

So, what brought this up? My nephews - aged 6 and 4. They have not been "socialized" enough to understand that questions are dangerous. It has been interesting to see the excitement that the statement "you can ask us anything" has generated. Oh the questions! They have always asked questions, but since we had this conversation, the flood gates have opened. It is simply incredible what they think about. I think far too many adults do not give kids enough credit. Am reminded of something I read a long time ago: "kids only tell adults things they think the adults can handle". It made me stop in my tracks. Think back to your childhood. Makes you think no?

I've spent half my life in Catholic schools. At least it feels that way to me. Yup, all the pros applied - though in my opinion, I think that the uniform was by far the biggest pro. When I took time away from the corporate world to teach, one of the recurring conversations I had with my kids was this: "if you only spend half as much time on your homework as you do on your outfit each day, you'd be a straight A student". But there was a big con. Huge in fact. One of the golden rules was "Thou shalt not question". This is a fantastic way to control kids, but is in my opinion one of the biggest way we hobble kids. They are sponges, soaking everything in, trying to make sense of the world they live in and the people around them. What are they to do with all those questions and creativity? Umm, I know what I did - spent more time that I care to remember in the headmistress's office being punished.

Which brings me back to my nephews. Oh the questions the ask. Yesterday the 4 year old asked me how solar panels make electricity. So we had a basic circuits lesson and then moved on to the more pressing question the 6 year old had: how many rows of teeth do sharks have?

We have learned much about each other in the process. The kids learn that there are no taboo questions and that they will get a honest answer, and I have learned about how their minds work, the dots they connect and what they are thinking about. Priceless.

But don't take my word for it - try it with the little and not so little people in your world.

2 comments:

Mazhakaalam said...

Checha,....This bit of urs is an eyeopener for me as a mother and a teacher...............I know thou sometimes things can get a bit embarassing....it is challenging to answer thier questions.......Im with u......and hell with thou shall not speak rules.

Elizabeth said...

Libs, I too remember those rules - good children must be seen but not heard. I understand where that rule comes from - many parents/adults are tired and harried about their day and the last thing they want to deal with is all that energy that kids possess. However, I think this really does affect how kids develop into the adults they will be.

I could not agree more that often kids ask questions that can be embarrassing for adults. I really think that kids ask about what they are ready to know. I really listen to the language they use and answer what they have asked - no more, no less. What I've found happens is that you will become a trusted adult and kids will talk to you about things they would never otherwise talk to adults about. It is a lot of work, but pays off huge I think in the long run.