October 6, 2009

Recent Reads

1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog
My book club book for last month. I started out loving it, then spent several chapters scratching my head, then enjoyed it again. Now looking back, I realize I love the book. Though was not at all sure of this while I was reading it. This is a very smart book - about a woman and a girl, who both hide how intelligent they are for very different reasons. It is about perceptions - what we think and believe to be true of others - when really we often so rarely get below the surface of another person. A gem. I will read it again. I think there was much I missed because I was annoyed at parts during my first reading of the book.

2. Ptolemy's Gate
Loved this. Dragged out the Bartimaeus trilogy as long as I could, and since this was part of my summer pleasure, finally dived back in to finish it. Fun. Escapist. Reminded of my of the joy I got reading as a kid - curled up with snacks. Am going to explore what else the author has written.

3. Dinotopia
Oh, another book I loved from start to finish. It is written in the format of an artist's journal - how could I not love that? The story and the art is incredible. Cannot wait until my ns (this is my short form for nieces and nephews - ain't that a mouthful?) are old enough to read this aloud with them.

No comments: