September 19, 2009

Recent Reads

1. The Other Side of Paradise
This is a memoir of a girl brought up in the non-tourist parts of Jamaica. Abandoned by her mother and not claimed by her father, she is raised primarily by her maternal grandmother. It is a hard life, of poverty, abuse, fear, loneliness, wanting to belong, waiting to be claimed. While the writing is not great, the author certainly captures the bleakness of her situation, and her struggle to be somebody that people would want to claim.

Have not been to the Caribbean islands in quite a while, though have visited many of them. They are so beautiful, yet I'm always left with this uneasy feeling - as tourists we have so much more than the locals, and real life for many of the natives is dismal and without hope for a better tomorrow. I find it hard to really relax in such environments. This book reminded me of those feelings of ambivalence I have about visiting the Caribbean.

2. A Circle of Quiet
Recently "discovered" this author - kinda feel like Columbus when I say "discovered" :-). Heard about her in a podcast and decided to read her journals before I read her fiction. Have loved reading this. It has felt like reading letters from a wise and dear friend - she covers so many topics, and with the exception of her religious leanings, we see eye to eye on many things. I have found my own journal pages taking on more depth as I think about how to capture ideas, thoughts, glimpses into insight. Loved it and will certainly be reading her other works.

3. Wide Open
Been feeling blocked creatively lately, and this is one in my library that I've been dipping into again.

4. Blue Latitudes
Our current read aloud book. Am loving it.

No comments: