May 27, 2009

Recent Reads

1. The Great Gatsby
Having been educated mostly in Kenya, I missed most of what is considered classic American lit. So have been slowly reading my way through them, and must say that I love what I had read so far. This book was no exception. Loved the story, the writing, the images conjured. I listened to the audio version and will go back to read it - such beautiful language. Also saw the movie (the remake) and did not like how Gatsby was played. I hear that original with Redford was much better (how could it not be with Redford as Gatsby?).

2. A Mercy
This is my book club selection for the month, and Morrison does not disappoint. Loved this book. I find it incredible that Morrison can create so much with such sparse language. The story of Europes and slaves, a mother and her daughter, loss. Incredible. On a side note, I got this book in large print from the library - could literally read the text from across the room. Can see how addictive that could be as one ages :-)

3. Careless in Red
I've read several books by the author and am usually disappointed with the endings - she simply seems to run out of steam. Not so in this one. This is a murder mystery with more meat to it than typical in that genre. Can parents really make their children into someone they are not? At what cost? How do people cope with loss? What secrets do we all keep hidden? An interesting read.

4. Buddha 4: The Forest of Uruvela
Reading these remind me of being a kid. Am loving the series.

No comments: