May 19, 2009

Recent Reads

1. The Book Thief
This young adult book is a great read. I love how the author constructs sentences. The tough part is that everything I was reading or watching that week had to do with Nazi Germany.

2. Sharing Nature With Children
Love this book. Wish I had found it while I was teaching. In any case, have already played some of the games with my nephews. A wonderful guide for adults who want to pass on their love of the outdoors to the next generation. Should be required reading for parents :-)

3. Art Forms in Nature
Love this book. Am blown away by both the skill of the artist and the wonder of nature.

4. Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man
A friend recommended this book to me, and I loved it. First time I've read the author, and she has an incredible way of telling a story. This book, like the Book Thief, is told from the point of view of a young girl. This one also covers really tough stuff, but is told in a humorous way. Laughed out loud at certain sections. And I needed a laugh - so the right book at the right time.

2 comments:

Mary said...

If you loved Daisy Fay, you HAVE to read _Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe_. Loved it! It is her best book. The movie version is really good too. I also liked _Welcome to the World Baby Girl_. It was one of those books that stayed with me for a while. The story TELLING wasn't quite as good but the story has taken a place in my heart and mind.

Met Fannie Flagg at a book signing. I said "Hi" and she asked me where I was from...all from a one syllable greeting. She knew I was southern. We both laughed and talked afterward. She's fun!

Best to you! Happy reading!

Elizabeth said...

Will add her other books on my list to read - so many books, so little time!