May 29, 2009

Movies Worth Watching

1. Mamma Mia
Loved this movie. I laughed and sang my way through it. Meryl Streep is awesome. If you are an ABBA fan (and who would not be?!) you gotta check this out. Very campy. First time I think I've seen women in "drag". Quite fun. Have yet to see the stage show - on my list.

2. Angels and Demons
Much much better job by Ron Howard at telling a story. Not true to the book - but then again, after the DaVinci Code stinker there was no way to go but up. And while I'm on the subject why are women characters so unbelievable? Not a great movie, but it is a fun way to spend a couple of hours. And it brought back memories of Roma.

3. Slumdog Millionaire
Am I the only one who did not love this movie? Cute yes. But worthy of the Oscar? Nope. But then again have not been a huge fan of Oscar winners anyway. I liked that it was an indie movie, that it had the sleeper effect of building momentum from word of mouth recommendations. But not worth the buzz in my opinion.

4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Another hyped movie that I do not recommend. Okay, the plot is unusual and I love both Brad and Cate, but honestly did this hold your interest? Only reason I finished watching the movie is that I was strapped in at 30,000 feet in an aluminum can hurtling through space and time.

Any movies out there worth watching?

5 comments:

Mary said...

"The Nanny Diaries." It looks like fluff and really it is but it is engaging fluff. I truly like Scarlet Johansen and Laura Linney.

"Frost Nixon." Another good Ron Howard movie. It was interesting to revisit that whole story. It looks mild mannered after the Bush administration.

"Grace is Gone." Worth a watch. I don't go for military stories but this one brought it home for me.

"Star Trek." Grew up watching the original so I thought this was a truly fun blast from the past. I'm not a "Trekkie," but I am curious about what uninitiated folks might think of this one.

Elizabeth said...

Awesome - have added these to my list to see. Thanks.

Mazhakaalam said...

So true about Slumdog....checha....really nothing in it for an Oscar......everyother Hindi movie is the same......much better in fact....The difference Is its by Boyle......and there goes the Oscar.Have u seen Lagaan.....a movie that that just missed the oscar? Well watch it and tell...whos got the talent Boyle or our own Gowrikaar.

CHILDREN OF GOD said...

i share the same opinion about slumdof millionaire and the oscars. aint worth the applause for sure... and as libi points out, danny boyle works his charm. the performances had no content and the story was like a meaningless maze of someone's fantasy. cute as u rightly said.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, there is no comparison, Lagaan was so much better - an actual story.