January 10, 2009

Recent Reads

1. Mexico
This is a book that I dragged out as long as I could - think I read 5 other books in between - just to keep it from ending. Finished it this evening, and loved it. One of those grand epics that got me in its grip and would not let go. Simply delicious. There are really tough topics - inquisition, human sacrifice, bull fighting, slavery, etc - but these are an essential part of the story so add to the drama.

2. An Illustrated Life
I love looking at people's sketchbooks - it's like getting a private view of what goes on in their heads, and this book does just that. Loved it - if you keep a sketch book, you've got to check it out - really inspirational. I've had several dreams of wonderful colors and drawings after reading this one.

3. The Art of Travel with a Sketchbook
Another delight that I read this past week. Simple tips on how to keep a sketch book while traveling with examples from student pages.

No comments: