September 2, 2008

Recent Reads

1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I love when I learn about a new angle to world events and this book did just that. I had never given a moment's thought to the occupation of the English Channel Islands during WW2. This book gave me a view into that period in time using my favourite medium - letters. The entire story is told in letter form, and in addition to being delightfully well done, it made me sorely miss the days when I got long letters in the mail. Yes, I love the immediacy of email/phone, etc, but is there really anything quite as wonderful as getting a letter in the mail?

2. Nectar in a Sieve
Another book that introduced me to a life I do not know well - Indian tenant farmers and the story of one family and town told from Rukmani's point of view. This slender novel beautifully and hauntingly tells the tale of the joys and pain of this family.

I find it interesting that these two books I read last week had starvation as a common theme. I found myself constantly hungry and was so grateful that I had food easily available.

No comments: