March 21, 2008

Trip Essentials

“I travel light; as light, that is, as a man can travel who will still carry his body around because of its sentimental value.” - Christopher Fry

It's always interesting for me to see/read about what people pack for a trip. Most people take way too much. On our trip to Venice saw people with HUGE suitcases, and if you've been to Venice and walked up and down the thousands of little bridges, you know how horrible that must have felt.

I have a policy that if the stuff does not fit into 2 carry-on sized bags, it simply does not go. I must admit though that the hardest part for me is limiting the number of books I take along. Yes, I am aware that one can buy books in various countries, but there you go being rational again. If I traveled as much as I used to in my frequent flier days, I would surely invest in a Kindle (though might have to get the rev 2 version anyway!).

Examples of things that always travel with me:
  • camera, batts, charger, phone
  • journal, pens, watercolors, glue stick
  • books - have never traveled with only one
  • sunglasses, toiletries (travel sized)
  • sarong (think scarf, skirt, towel, sheet, etc)
  • water bottle, swimsuit, tevas, walking shoes
  • book light, iPod, medicines
  • socks, undies, tops and bottoms that are culturally appropriate (I do laundry on the road)
What makes your essentials list?

No comments: