March 28, 2008

Recent Reads

1. The Middle Place
This book is about a woman and her father dealing with cancer. What could have been a depressing story is told with honesty, wit and courage. This is a story of a woman who clearly loves being her fathers daughter. I enjoyed reading this memoir, and it asks the question: what makes one an adult?

2. The Lost Painting
Here is another book that opened my world just a little larger. I learned about how art is lost, and found. How masterpieces are restored. It has inspired me to check out other books that talk about Caravaggio's works. He was an incredible painter - the way he shows light is simply breathtaking. His art that I have been lucky enough to see, have also stopped me in my tracks. The book starts out strong, but the author does get lost midway. Still if you are interested in art, this non-fiction is a good read.

3. The 4-Hour Work Week
How can that title not pique your interest? I read it in one sitting - the guy has some good ideas. I was not impressed with the VPA idea - but can see how others might be. Many of his ideas though did resonate, and I especially like the idea of taking your retirement in chunks through out your life, as opposed to waiting till the end to take it one large chunk. I do that already, and the book gave me ideas to marinate on - what is my muse?

No comments: