November 15, 2007

Latest Audio Book

This week I finished "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd. I have really enjoyed other books by her - would really recommend reading "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine".

This one however was not so good. An interesting enough story about a woman who has lost herself in her roles as wife and mother and learns to rediscover who she is when she returns to her home on Egret Island. I like the strong bonds that connect the women in the book, but as a whole was not moved by it.

An interesting observation while listening to this book: When I read I always have an idea of how many pages there are left in the book - I can feel it with my fingers. When I listen to books on CD, I can also estimate how much is left by the number of CDs left - not as effectively as with a book, but still works. When I listen to a book on my iPod, it is like listening in the dark. I have no idea where I am in the story. Have I passed the middle or not? I guess I could scroll down and see how much is left, but I do not. Strange no?

No comments: