April 9, 2007

Recent Movies

Here are some worth mentioning:

1. Babel
Is it just me? I did not get this movie. Seemed deep. But maybe too deep for me? What was the point? 3 interconnected stories? What did the Japanese story line add to the movie? All stories about people who are in trouble, make poor choices, and yet are redeemed in some way?
I really wanted to get this movie, but am afraid that I missed some essential part I was supposed to understand.

2. Word Play
A delightful, and insightful documentary about crossword junkies. I really enjoyed this movie, and learned about an entire sub-culture along the way. Who knew that Monday puzzles are the easiest? Now I know, and am delighted to say that one of my presents from the bunny was an easy crosswords book, and I am hooked. I see what all the fuss is about.

3. Windsor Castle: A Royal Year
Another delightful documentary that enlightened as it entertained. The film-makers were given unprecedented access to Windsor Castle, and it really is amazing. After watching, I feel rather like an insider - maybe the Queen will invite me over for crumpets and tea.

4. The Producers
While the remake is not as good as the original, the cast of Matthew Broderick, Nathan Lane, Will Ferrell and Uma Thurman, make for an entertaining time. I now have a new image that pops into mind every time I hear "The Chrysler Building" - see it and you'll know what I mean.

No comments: